From "Aurora Leigh"
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
‘There’s nothing great
Nor small’, has said a poet of our day,
Whose voice will ring beyond the curfew of eve
And not be thrown out by the matin’s bell:
And truly, I reiterate, nothing’s small!
No lily-muffled hum of a summer-bee,
But finds some coupling with the spinning stars;
No pebble at your foot, but proves a sphere;
No chaffinch, but implies the cherubim;
And (glancing on my own thin, veinèd wrist),
In such a little tremor of the blood
The whole strong clamour of a vehement soul
Doth utter itself distinct. Earth’s crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
But only he who sees, takes off his shoes
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love the last line, especially. Happy Friday, Anne.
Sanctus, Sanctus, Sanctus,
Dominus Deus Sabaoth
Pleni sunt coeli gloria tua.
Hosana in excelsis.
Benedictus qui venit en nomine domini.
Hosan in excelsis.
----------------------------------
Came to this from spiritual direction, where we talked about the sanctus (long story). I love how God works sometimes.
Love the poem.
Viernes!
Namaste cielo
Post a Comment