Saturday, April 19, 2008

May 22



A pastor I know who deals with depression talked once about how much he loves Van Gogh and especially his sunflower paintings. He talked about how sunflowers always turn toward light, warmth, sunlight, pull that growth and life into themselves. And he talked about how amazing and transforming these paintings by Van Gogh are for him because Van Gogh also struggled with cripping depression. Yet, despite his pain and his self-doubt he created all of this beauty and gave it to the world. He created things that still speak to us of transformative life. So now I love Van Gogh too. Here's to drinking in sunlight!

2 comments:

Towanda said...

I love Van Gogh's sunflowers as well, and in fact I love sunflowers in general. In Portland as part of my healing from depression, I dug out thorny blackberry brambles from our backyard and planted giant sunflowers instead.

I will meditate on sunflowers turning towards the sun today, when I am in such pain.

Muser Grace said...

I will also be meditating on sunflowers, on your sunflower-soul, on the love and warmth you have sent into the world. And I will be sending my love and warmth your way, knowing also that God and God's love (which you have helped birth into this world) radiates around you and through you. Love, love, love...