This poem reminds me of one of those moments when I managed to "fall into" God and God's love. I was swimming in a lake in New Hampshire far away from city lights. I was aching and in need of healing and peace. Floating on my back, I looked up at the black, black sky filled with clusters of crystal stars just gleaming through the black night. I felt total awe at the sky above me and at the gentle, cool water sustaining me. And I suddenly deeply believed that if God could create something so magnificent, huge, and holy, God could surely bring healing to my torn soul.
By Denise Levertov
Holy One,
As swimmers dare
to lie face to the sky
and water bears them
as hawks rest upon air
and air sustains them,
so would we learn to attain
freefall, and float
into Creator Spirit's deep embrace,
knowing no effort earns
that all-surrounding grace. Amen.
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
This is one of my all-time favourite Levertov poems, I'm so glad to read it here again, and to think of you, Anne.
Amen, Amen, and Amen.
I was just thinking of healing waters on my run this morning and thinking about the connection between grief, water and healing. I didn't come up with much but am struck by the synchroncity of today's post and poem.
Blessings of healing water pour upon you and through you Anne.
healing waters... yes... Ten thousand waves, Lake abiquiu, Atitlan....
"I'll be your water
when you are thirsty and dry"
Sagapo cielo
Post a Comment