Monday, April 21, 2008

May 1

Hello Anne! I know this is a full and intense month for you, so I wanted to make something for you to help sustain you and hopefully bring you moments of peace, joy, humor, or just a little break in the midst of it all. So here is my birthday blog just for you. I've posted something I hope you'll enjoy for every day from May 1 - June 6. Know that I am thinking of you and praying for you during this intense and crazy time.

Love and Peace,
Alwen

And to begin this month, a poem from the man who first made me fall in love with poetry and who first stirred in me a passion for human rights.

I ask for Silence
-Pablo Neruda

Now they leave me in peace
Now they grow used to my absence.

I am going to close my eyes.

I wish for five things only,
five chosen touchstones.

One is prepetual love.

The second is to see the autumn.
I cannot exist without leaves
flying
and falling to earth.

The third is the solemn winter,
the rain I loved, the caress
of fire
in the rough cold.

Fourthly, the summer,
plump as a watermelon.

And, fifth, your eyes.
Matilda, my dear love,
I will not sleep wothout your eyes.
I will not exist but in your gaze.
I adjust the spring
for you to follow me with your eyes.

. . .

5 comments:

Towanda said...

Finally, May 1 is here and I can start in on these daily meditations. I've been looking forward to this!

Today I feel a little sleepy -- up late two nights in a row geeking out on translating Romans 13, but mostly in good spirits. I'm thankful for my friends who are surrounding me with prayers and love and goodness and chocolate.

It's snowing today, heavy big flakes, coating the flowering trees. It's lovely, and I am hopeful that the rain/snow will wash away all the pollen that is driving my senses crazy.

Abuelita said...

Hola, nieta nuestra! Happy May Day! Just a reminder that both of us hold you close to our hearts in prayer, especially during this last few weeks of hard work before you finally graduate and can then begin to make your dreams a reality. By the way, I'd love to hear your translation of Rom. 13:1-3, especially since your abuelita consistently disobeys what at least on first glance appears to be their meaning! Let me remind you also of how beautiful May is in Tucson. Golden clouds of palo verde, big butter yellow flower cups on the palo verdes, snowy white buds emergine atop the saguaros! And today we have a high of 83. (Yes, that's an unexpected cold wave bonus for today only, and yes, pollen is at the very top of the sneeze scale, but that's Tucson.) We would be ecstatic if you could find some way to get down here.
But meanwhile, this comes with all our love. Abuelita

mckeester said...

What a dense time this is! I hold you in my prayers and love . . . and send some Rumi, hoping it might hold wisdom for the current Journey:

"God enters through a wound."

Your fellow Pilgrim,
Susan

Muser Grace said...

Hi Anne,

It's lovely to see others here as well, surrounding you with such love. Yay! :) I'm so glad you're in good spirits...may they continue in abundance!

Anonymous said...

Ah! Neruda, Neruda, What a poet! You fed me with his poetry at the beginning of our amazing journey together. I'm thankful that during this challenging and exciting time, Alwen, our dear friend, is offering you Neruda's words to nurture you.

Si te quiero porque sos mi amor
mi amor mi complice y todo,
y en la calle codo a codo
somos mucho mas que dos

Your cielo